where did viavoice go?

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Sat Apr 26 09:13:15 EDT 2003

Cris:

 > What do these files do?  can you use via voice as a software synth with
speakup?

The "rtk" files are the runtime kits. There is a voice
synthesizer (called TTS for text to speech), and yes it
works with emacspeak. There is also a dictation runtime,
that is for recognition (not needed for emacspeak).

The "sdk" files are the software development kits (one
for TTS and one for dictation). These are the APIs for
programming apps to use viavoice.

For emacspeak you only need the TTS runtime.

I just sent a message with a couple of notes on getting
this working. On my slackware 9 based system I was able
to do this:

1) unpack the TTS rpm file using the --nodeps and --force
    flags, for example rpm -ivh tts.rpm --nodeps --force

2) You need to source /etc/profile or logout and back in
    because it writes and environment variable setting in
    there

3) Test ViaVoice first by running the examples in
    /usr/lib/ViaVoiceTTS/samples. Try runcmdlinespeak

4) Per the emacspeak directions you need to set an
    environment variable for the speech server, set
    it to the value "outloud". I think it's called
    DTK_SERVER.

5) You need to do a make in the directory
    /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud

    On slackware 9.0 I needed to change line 13 of the
    Makefile to look like this:

    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -g -o $@ tcleci.o -ltcl -ldl -shared -lstdc++

    I added the -lstdc++ flag to force it to use the C++ runtimes

6) I had to comment out the line that says notes_initialize in
    /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud
    otherwise I got errors

7) Run the command tcl outloud in the directory
    /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/

Note that you need tcl and tclx to make this work.

On slackware 9.0 there is a binary for emacspeak in the extra
directory. But I compiled emacspeak from source.

I have no idea if this works on redhat ...

   -- Doug