palmtops running linux

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu Apr 24 21:53:29 EDT 2003

Kirk,

 >> Speakup doesn't work on strongarm
 > Why doesn't it work?

Well, someone here on this list seemed to think that
there was some x86 specific stuff, in particular the
audio. I plan to try cross-compiling this to strong
arm but it won't be for a while yet. If anyone else
had tried speakup on strongarm please let me know.
Flite is already running on Zaurus, and the software
synth mods are intended to be generic, adaptable to
various synthesizers, so Flite plus Speakup would
be a nice combination for Zaurus and iPAQ. Does the
speakup code depend on hardware specific ioctls for
x86? Anyone else know why this should or shouldn't
work on stongarm? I assume that speakup depends on
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp etc which would probably
be implemented differently on the SA1111 companion
(audio codec).

   -- Doug