dectalk punctuation delay

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Mon Apr 21 18:34:26 EDT 2003

Hi
Yep, that's the command that does it, just found it in my dectalk manual. I
think the bug is with the dectalk, not speakup. I even dragged out an old
dos bootdisk to see if the same problem (that of dectalk only accepting the
negative number once) reared its head. Sure enough, it did. The best
solution, IMHO, would be to use the dectalk's default [:pe 0]. This way
there'd be no problem with reinitializing. The cost would be about a 1/10
second longer pause, however. The bug seems to be that dectalk doesn't
really reset itself until it detects a bios reinit of its serial port.
Apparently turning it off then on doesn't completely clear its flash rom.
I'm not sure this can really be fixed unless someone knows how to modify
the dectalk firmware. Don't know if this happens with the newer 4.61
firmware, but the voice inflections on that are so awful that it really
isn't worth it, to my way of thinking.