redhat problems

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Fri Apr 18 00:28:26 EDT 2003

I believe it is loaded after all the drives are detected and it knows
where the ide ports are and which one has the CDRW drive.  This can be
compiled as a module, but it isn't necessary to have it start immediately.
It can start at any time before the CDRW drive is used for writing.
Basically, my point was that a module has to be loaded either from a
script, from the command line, or in /etc/modules.conf using the module
loader.  Even if run from the /etc/rc.d/rc.S script, a module won't be
loaded before any text is printed to the screen.  This is why I thought,
in the case of a modularized speakup, that it would probably still be
necessary to patch the kernel itself to cause it to buffer console output
until the Speakup module is actually loaded, as someone mentioned in an
earlier post on this thread.

Lorenzo

A man said to the Universe: "Sir, I exist!"

"However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a
sense of obligation."
		-- Stephen Crane

Janina Sajka staggered into view and mumbled: