software modem init strings

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at novocon.net
Mon Apr 14 11:58:12 EDT 2003

Hi people,

I am having a lot of trouble getting a software modem to work
reliably and I am suspicious that I am not using a complete init
string. If anyone has any experience with such things, I would
appreciate any suggestions. The present string I am using is:

AT &F &C1 &D2 &K3 h0

and for the most part everything seems to work. That is, I can
dial up the ISP, send and receive mail, browse the web, and so
on. But whenever I try sending a large file from the system,
either by attaching it to an email message or by accessing the
system with sftp from another system, the file transfer starts
off okay and then I get a partial modem failure. I say partial
because the modem thinks it is still connected, and seems to be
receiving the carrier signal from the ISP, but it ceases to send
anything and just sits there. Short files work fine, but
attachments or file transfers of 100kb or more kill the
connection and leave the modem half functional every time.

I have a manual for the modem listing all the initialization
codes, but I am not sure what else to try besides those I
mentioned above. This is the first time I have had any luck at
all with a software modem and it would be nice to get this little
piece of nastiness solved.

The modem is a CONEXANT (formerly Rockwell) HSFi 56K Modem. The
documentation for the Linux driver says to watch out for
conflicts with AC'97 sound cards, which in fact this particular
system does have, but disabling the sound card by removing the
alsa modules from the boot sequence makes no difference. Same
error under the same conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always. Failing that, is
anyone using a software modem entirely successfully? and if so,
what brand and model?

Thanks ...

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (93% of Full)
So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh