HELP!!! Can't compile speakup in Slackware kernel

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Fri Apr 11 04:30:25 EDT 2003

Kirk,

My system is working fine now, so I'm a happy camper. I am just
making suggestions that will make it easier for others down the
road. It took me a couple of days to get it all working because
of errors in the docs or things that were unclear, like where
one should be in the directory heierarchy when executing commands.
I am new to speakup, because I don't have an external synth,
but I'm very grateful for your work and also the work done
by Owen and other for software synth.

I have one more question: has anyone tried to use some kind
of speech recognizer to control the speakup session? I think
it would require an alternate keyboard driver, but it sure
would be cool to be able to use the keyboard or voice
commands like "speech off" and "top edge" and "say line".
Has anyone tried this or considered this? If the user were
to use a headset (earphone) then the speech output would
not conflict with the speech input (command control). I
may consider trying some experiments with sphynx to do
something like this. If anyone has tried already, or if
there is other things I should know, please let me know.

Thanks,
Doug