Linux distros (was Re: RH9 disks on the net.)

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu Apr 10 21:12:43 EDT 2003

Luke wrote:

 > If that's going to happen, a "speakup=no" option is
 > probably needed, to prevent its loading in a precompiled
 > kernel.

I have mine working with no boot parameters. I also have
it booting with speakup or without speakup. The kernel
with speakup is default, and will boot automatically
after 30 seconds. If I select the second kernel on the
lilo menu, a different kernel will boot which has been
configured with default synth = none and no speakup
keymap. This way the PC can be shared with people who
don't want speakup.

If you're willing to apply the kernel patches yourself
and compile kernels, you can make a kernel that is
specifically configured for your synthesizer and the
speakup keymap. It does not need any boot parameters
to work. Mine boots automatically, and speakup uses
the usrdev (software synth). The init scripts start
festival and the middleware program. I assume this
would also work with an external synthesizer.

A second kernel can be prepared by changing these
items in the .config file:

CONFIG_SPEAKUP=n
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_DEFAULT="none"
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_KEYMAP=n

You can copy .config to /usr/src/linux and run
make oldconfig after making these changes then
compile a kernel without speakup.

This does require building two kernels, one with
speakup and one without, but no boot params are
needed, and they can both be added to lilo.

   -- Doug

   In fact, it should probably