HELP!!! Can't compile speakup in Slackware kernel

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu Apr 10 20:11:54 EDT 2003

Kirk wrote:

 > If you are going to apply the speakup patches, why wouldn't
 > you use the checkout script?

Where is this script? Looking at the speakup home page,
all I see is a tarball. The instructions within that
tarball say extract it and run install.

 > I mean, that's what it is designed for.

Where is it? I don't see it here:
http://www.linux-speakup.org/

 > As a matter of fact, I do not support the install script
 > so if it works for cvs it is an accident rather than
 > planned.

Wow, now I'm really confused. The install script is not
supported and cvs is not either?

 > The install script is written for speakup tarballs when
 > they exist.

They worked for me.

 > You are making life a lot more difficult than necessary.
 > And imagine, all you need do is read the documentation to
 > realize it.

Which documentation? The only docs I have are inside the
tarball, and it says to use the install script. I don't
see any checkout script. Please enlighten me.

Also, the docs for installing the speakup mods for
software synth say to use cvs to get speakup and run
the install script. Are you saying it should be done
another way?

http://users.wpi.edu/~blinux/installation_instructions.txt

   -- Doug