ocrxtr recognision software

Thomas D. Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 10 22:45:00 EDT 2003

Hi, I do believe I get update notifications, but not on a daily basis. As
for uptodate I believe it once was free, but they now started charging for
it. If I want an update I manually get the packages and do a rpm freshen
install on them.
There is also a way to get monthly updates on cd sent to you with all the
updates applied. I would think being notified of updates, and getting the
latest security fixes would be a good thing. Slackware doesn't update as
regularly,
and they have long periods before stable versions. This is both good, and
has a bad side. Good because you are probably going to get the most stable
version they can provide, but bad because they are slow to release updated
patches.
Your comment about Red Hat releasing unstable software is misleading. I
believe they do release stable versions, but they discover security, and
other issues throughout the course of the stable version cycle. Every distro
discovers this or that after the release.
Take sendmail for example. It is not a product of Red Hat, but it has a
stream of security adviseries about security issues. Well, do you think the
security issues in sendmail effects only Red Hat or do you think it would
effect all distros including the Grand and invincible slackware?
Oh, and because of various problems in sendmail I use postfix instead. Which
by the way comes with Red Hat and not Slackware. Postfix is a hell of alot
easier to configure, hell of allot more secure than sendmail, and over all
hell of allot better product than sendmail.
As for OCR Shop it has library dependancies,and I was told by Vivadata that
they didn't recommend using other distros.
You want to try and get it working on Slackware, Debian, etc go ahead and
ttry the demo. At least you will know if it can be used with your distro.