ocrxtr recognision software

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 21:06:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Thomas D. Ward wrote:

> The best OCR solution I've found was OCR Shop. However, you require a scsi
> scanner which OCR Shop supports, and you really do need a Red Hat compatible
> distro to use OCR Shop. Which is one of the reasons I reject other distros.

That is the reason I reject Redhat.  Their so-called standard involves a
hacked kernel source, mostly beta software, and what isn't beta is highly
modified.  On top of that, anybody notice how they release updates every
day or two?  I know if I was running a server, that isn't the type of
software I'd want on it.  Speaking of up2date, did you know that unless
you pay for the service, it is only good for a limited time?  I didn't
until a few months ago.  Despite my missgivings with Redhat, I had
installed Redhat 8 on another partition.  I was hoping to play with
Gnopernicus.  At the time, Redhat 8 was the first distribution to ship
with Gnome 2.  Well, a few months after I installed Redhat 8, I got an
email from Redhat stating that my demo account for up2date was about to
expire and that if I'd just take this little survey, I could get another
60 days before it expired.  Since I hadn't gotten around to trying
Gnopernicus out after all, and it still wasn't anywhere near production, I
deleted Redhat and haven't looked back.  Now, I don't mind that they want
to charge for the update service.  You can still download updates
manually, and can install new versions from the Internet.  what bugs me is
that they never tell you that this is a demo account nor do they tell you
how long it is good for.  On top of that, I am still getting alerts in my
email every day about the latest security fixes.  If my account isn't
valid, why are they continuing to bombard my mailbox?  Why can't they
release a stable version in the first place?  Slackware seldom needs to
update between distributions.

Oh, I forgot that this was supposed to be about OCR software.  So, what
makes OCR Shop Redhat specific?  Is it an RPM?  Is OCRXTRA Redhat
specific?