HELP!!! Can't compile speakup in Slackware kernel

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu Apr 10 08:30:42 EDT 2003

Lorenzo,

I did the speakup patches last night. I too had some problems
initially. I put together a mini howto. Here is an excerpt,
just the part that does the speakup patches (I will post the
full document a bit later) ...

Get the speakup source code from CVS:

cd /usr/src
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at linux-speakup.org:/usr/src/CVS login
Password: please
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at linux-speakup.org:/usr/src/CVS checkout speakup

You will see a new directory /usr/src/speakup

The next step is to patch the linux kernel with speakup
and the modifications for sound card, which are already
extracted into the /usr/src/speakup directory.

Download the linux kernel source, for example:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.gz

Prepare the kernel source

cp linux-2.4.20.tar.gz /usr/src
cd /usr/src
tar xzvf linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
cd linux
make mrproper

Now the kernel needs to be patched with speakup

cd /usr/src/speakup
cp install /usr/src
cd /usr/src
./install

Hopefully you will get a message indicating that the
patches were applied without errors. If you get errors
you will need to figure out why before proceeding
further.

After the patches are applied, compile the linux kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux

Configure the linux kernel using
make config or
make menuconfig

If you are not clear on which options to include, you
can compare to a working kernel configuration. There
are working kernel configuration examples here:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/kernels/

For example, here is the bare.i (default) slackware kernel config
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/kernels/bare.i/config

Or look at your existing (working) kernel configuration.
On slackware 9.0, you can view kernel configurations
in the /boot directory. There should be a symbolic link
from /boot/config to your configuration. For example,
the default bare/i kernel is /boot/config-ide-2.4.20

The speakup patches add some new items in the kernel config.
In the console drivers section, there should be a new item
listed as "Speakup console speech". You will see a list of
synthesizers there, and you can set the default synthesizer
in the kernel config also (it defaults to "none", you can
set it to any synth you want).

I will post the full document shortly.
Hope this helps.

   -- Doug