HELP!!! Can't compile speakup in Slackware kernel

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Thu Apr 10 15:14:35 EDT 2003

Help!!!!  I'm trying to compile a custom kernel for my laptop, as there
seems to be no  precompiled kernel with acpi power management built-in.
However, I can't get the speakup to patch into the kernel.  I have tried
both the CVS tarball and the CVS diff.gz that appear in
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/source/k/
The source tarball gives me patch failures on ./install.  The diff.gz
patch works just fine till i make bzImage, where it gives me a strange
error about an undeclared function in speakup.c.  I am running Slack9.0
and trying to compile the included 2.4.20 kernel with Speakup.  What did I
do wrong?  I followed all the instructions to the letter!  SOMEBODY PLEASE
HELP THE BOY!  LOL.

Lorenzo

E Pluribus Unix