slackware 9.0 sendmail strangeness

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Wed Apr 9 04:15:18 EDT 2003

Hi listers
Well, I recently got sendmail working via a smarthost, thanks to a generous
lister who provided me a template to work from. However, I've noticed an
odd behavior with 9.0. This happened before I dropped my config in, so it's
gotta be something else. In any case, sendmail starts when the system boots
up, as it should. When I initiate a ppp connection, I must kill and restart
sendmail, otherwise fetchmail will not be able to resolve the addresses of
the senders and mail delivery will fail, including local delivery to my
mailbox. The smtp error is 453: address of xxx does not resolve, not
flushed. xxx of course is whatever address is being concerned. If I kill
and restart sendmail after bringing up the ppp link, all is well. I don't
ever remember such behavior with previous slackware versions. I even
changed rc.sendmail to start sendmail with the old options "-bd -q15m"
instead of the new ones, to no effect. Any ideas here? If worst comes to
worst, I'll put a few lines in my ip-up and ip-down scripts to deal with
this, and disable boot-up starting of sendmail. Maybe slackware's pppsetup
utility does this, I didn't use it this time--I manually wrote my ppp
config files, as my provider has a dynamic dns address scheme that
slackware's pppsetup still cannot properly account for. The new versions of
mainstream pppsetup can but for some reason slackware's author doesn't want
to drop them in.