RH9 disks on the net.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Apr 8 19:55:38 EDT 2003

I've answered this before.
I don't believe Redhat chose to include Speakup in RH 8.0.
I believe it was included because RedHat chose to use an Alan Cocks patched kernel, and alan had included speakup.
The fact that Alan happens to be a RedHat employee needs to be set aside here,
The purpose of the -ac series of kernel patches is as a proving ground for patches which may/will one day become part of the standard kernel.
It is for this reason that speakup was in the -ac kernels.
RedHat aren't using a -ac kernel this time around, so no speakup,
and they've chosen for whatever reason - others on list know more about this than me), not to include it themselves as a patch,
even though they could have.
I hardly call the accidental inclusion of an accessibility aid in a release inclusionary practice.
notice that the Readme.accessibility file from RH 8 makes no mention of speakup at all.
Don't you think if it was a deliberate inclusion they would have at least made the effort to mention it there?
I rather suspect, given what i've seen of RH's desire to look good in the public eye while actually doing very little that
if they thought they'd included a major accessibility aid, they would have been crowing about it from here to slashdot.
Regards
Aaron