another problem

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Tue Apr 8 22:41:59 EDT 2003

Hi Kenny. Well it appears that 1 or more of these floppies is bad, so I am
going to have to have someone burn the basedebs.tar to a cd so I can try
installing again. The last 2 times I tried floppies, debootstrap returned an
exit(1); This was after my hard disk made some not-too-promising buzzing
type noises. I heard that mixed in with regular disk access noise. However,
the very first time I tried the floppies, it seemed to hang when it was
"installing base packages." So I rebooted and have gotten some kind of error
the last 2 times i tried. I don't think this is related to any file being
coppied, because in theory everything should be overwritten. One thing I did
discover however. The last 2 times I coppied from floppies, I didn't find a
basedebs.tar in /target where its suppposed to be. I believe this
constitutes a disk failure as I have suspected all along? Meaning, when all
of this started aboug 2 days ago.