installing Slackware 9.0 on a laptop

Terry D. Cudney terry at CottageInWasaga.com
Sat Apr 5 09:10:37 EST 2003

Hi Lorenzo,

	No, the site is up and fine. I just re-checked it. The url again is:

	ftp://ftp.linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/goodies/

	The two files are: unispeak.tar.bz2 and unispeak.README.

	As Jacob Schmude noted in a subsequent message to yours, you can use the fn key to enable a numeric-key section on the qwerty keyboard  of many laptops, and this works fine withthe normal speakup keymap. However, not all laptops follow the same standards for keyboard layout and enabling the numeric keyset. Particularly many IBM Thinkpads do not work well with the fn-key/speakup keymap. That was the motivation for me to create the unispeak keymap (I have oneof those Thinkpads). The unispeak keymap uses the "caps-lock" key to enable a subset of the qwerty keyboard to control all speakup functions. As a bonus (for me at least) it makes it more difficult to enable caps-lock by mistake.

	Have fun!

	--terry