fetchmail devlivery success tnx Chuck

Kenny Hitt kennyhitt at knology.net
Mon Sep 30 11:57:07 EDT 2002

Hi.  It's a bad idea to use the same password for your mail account with
your isp and your local login.  My local login to my box is "kennyhitt"
just like my mail account with knology.  The passwords have nothing in
common so if someone gets my mail password they won't have a clue in
guessing my password for my Linux box.  Since my global fetchmailrc for
my box is not readable by any normal user, you will have to be root to
even know its there.  Of course the password for the mail account is
sent in plain text, it will be possible for someone watching my traffic
to get it.  Also the fetchmail daenon runs as user fetchmail so breaking
fetchmail will only get you my mail password and nothing else.

          Kenny