Why I choose Linux, was Re: NFB Net goes linux!

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sat Sep 21 19:25:21 EDT 2002

Hi Kenny,

As you said, your non-technical girlfriend is using the Gnome GUI.  That's
little different from using the Windows GUI.

You also said that you had a lot of time on your hands.  That probably
accounts for some of the differences in our perspective on life, and how we
like our computing environment.  I'm a busy sys admin; I work 40+ (usually
plus) hour weeks in a relatively stressful position doing at least systems
administration, sales and technical support.  I don't have a lot of extra
time these days to mess around with stuff...  :-)  Thus, on the client side,
I still use Windows.  Our computers here at home run Windows XP these days;
my system at work still runs Windows Millennium.  It does what I need it to
do, and sometimes better than the Linux equivalent would do the same thing;
this is especially true with browsing.  You'll not convince me, given the
current state of the art, that web browsing under Linux using a completely
text-based browser like Links or Lynx is nearly as straightforward as using
Internet Explorer with JAWS or Window-Eyes.  This is currently also the case
when it comes to working with your sighted colleagues, who tend to run
Windows and run the Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and Word.  I
need to be able to competently read and write these file formats, and as far
as I am aware, this is not currently practical under Linux.  Even if it were
doable by a blind person from the Linux console, it wouldn't be anything as
straightforward as simply running Excel or Word with JAWS.

Again, just my $0.02 on this subject.