Why I choose Linux, was Re: NFB Net goes linux!

Kenny Hitt kennyhitt at knology.net
Sat Sep 21 18:59:05 EDT 2002

Hi.  I have a non technical girl friend who had no problem starting to
use my system with gnome.  We've been together for a year.  She just
found console apps more trouble than using a MS-Windows computer.
Finally, I got X-windows working.
I never had to ask her to read a screen until
after I got gnome working. She likes the fact she can change everything
on her desktop to look and act the way she wants.
I install galeon for the default browser.  She loves it!  So far, she
can do any thing on the web she wants.
I still don't have access to the GUI, but that should change soon.  In
the mean time, I can do everything I did with a MS-windows computer with
console apps.  The only thing I don't have working is OCR.
The thing I like about this setup is all the software to do this is
free!  Sure, I spent a lot of time learning about a lot of things to get
it set up, but I have lots of time.

          Kenny

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 05:46:54PM -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
> Ihave a non technical spous who loves the command line interface.

computer on a daily basis.