upgrading g++ but not gcc

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sat Sep 21 18:51:37 EDT 2002

Hi Greg,
No you cannot upgrade just g++, internally under /usr/lib/gcc-lib/whatever-version there are a whole bunch of interdepent programs what call one another,
as well as more headers which are compiler version dependent (which is why they don't live under /usr/include.)
However, there's no reason why you can't have more than one version of the compiler installed on your system at once.
Just be careful when you install the new binaries that they end up being called gcc3, c++3 etc,
then edit the CC define inyour Makefile to point to gcc3.
Redhat does this in their current beta, they have gcc, which is gcc 3.2 and gcc295 which is gcc 2.95
(for those who still have code that won't compile under gcc 3.2).
You can elect not to install the gcc295 package, or you can elect to remove it once you have fixed up all your source code so that it compiles under gcc 3.2.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Aaron
On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 09:39:47AM -0500, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Is it possible for me to upgrade to g++ 3.02 while keeping gcc 2.95.3? I believe that g++ is a script that calls gcc, so this probably isn't doable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
> Greg

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |