upgrading g++ but not gcc

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Sat Sep 21 11:09:05 EDT 2002

Hi Greg,

G++ is only a symbolic link to your GCC compiler. What happens
is that when the compiler starts executing, the first thing it
does is to examine the name by which it was invoked to determine
how it should function. If you invoke it with the name GCC it
behaves in a certain way, and if you invoke it with the name G++
it behaves in a different way.

HTH

Chuck

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Is it possible for me to upgrade to g++ 3.02 while keeping gcc 2.95.3? I believe that g++ is a script that calls gcc, so this probably isn't doable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
> Greg

The Moon is Full
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck