Speakup modified kernel sources

Tim Burgess tim.burgess at blazie.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 05:18:08 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I've successfully identified my laptop's internal modem and downloaded the
driver package.  The configuration program requires access to the kernel
sources and is complaining that they may not be correctly installed.  I
installed them thus:

rpm -iv kernel-2.4.18-10spk.src.rpm

and I got no errors.  The modem configuration utility reports this error:

Error: /lib/modules/2.4.18-10spk/build points to a missing directory

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 35 Sep 20 10:19 /lib/modules/2.4.18-10spk/build ->
../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.18-10spk

Please ensure that the kernel source RPM package is correctly installed.

I've checked and there is no /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-10spk directory, but the
/lib/modules/2.4.18-10spk tree does exist.

Did I use the wrong parameters for installing the RPM?  I'm running the
modem configuration tool from /root - is that my mistake?

Help!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim