Newbie questions

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Thu Sep 19 12:27:15 EDT 2002

Hi, Tim,

     The kernel source package that you need to install is
kernel-source-2.4.18-10spk.i386.rpm, not kernel-2.4.18-10spk.src.rpm.  The
best way to remove the old source tree, is to type:  "rpm -e
kernel-source".  The good news is that you almost certainly don't have to
recompile the kernel.  You do need the kernel source in order to compile
the MODEM drivers.  To make the change to your host name stick, edit
/etc/sysconfig/network.  There'll be a line that says:
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
Just edit it to taste.

          HTH.
--