Gnome, gnopernicus, and X-Windows questions

Charles Crawford ccrawford at acb.org
Thu Sep 19 08:30:35 EDT 2002

Steve,

	It seems like we are polarizing around either it's evil like Microsoft or
virtuous like volunteer developed software.  In fact there is an advantage
to both approaches.  Sure, how can we help but be appreciative of the work
done to create the code we all want and more importantly need.  Yet, money
fuels the engines of progress that is in line with the mas of the user base.

	I don't believe that anyone would want to see Linux accessibility become a
victim of the free market approach that would dismiss the population as too
small to be worth the investment and yet, if we don't support the effort
with some resources to speed delivery, then we will always be waiting for
the next whatever.  You mentioned the DOS screen readers that in fact were
commercial items related to the larger and mainstream world of DOS.  They
were based on compitition and we benefited from that.

	Now comes the question of how can we maintain the volunteer and innovative
values of Linux while increasing it's users and mainstream
application?  Three important battles are keeping console mode up with
X-windows apps, getting accessibility to the apps in both interfaces, and
insuring that blind users can be competitive  in the workplace and
independent at home.

	If we do not face these questions head on with strategies to resource the
solutions, then we will slip into oblivion just as the last of the DOS
(myself included) lovers are doing.  So rather than labeling my writing as
ranting and deluding ourselves into the belief that this will never go
away, let's get about the business of making sure folks who do the
developing are appreciated for their work and properly funded to get it
done without having to make it a priority beneath the need to make a living.

-- charlie Crawford.