(rant) why microsoft is not easy to use

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sun Sep 15 04:55:51 EDT 2002

Why not have the best of both worlds.
Visit http://www.lycoris.org (or for the bandwidthly impaired, http://www.lycoris.com and get a copy on cd).
You'll probably need sighted help to get it up and running, but once its up you can of course use it like any other linux distribution via speakup on the console.
The beauty of this one is for all intents and purposes your sighted folk will think its Windows XP.
The GUI is actually KDE 2.2.2 (3.0 in the next release i believe) but its been heavily customized to resemble XP in look and feel.
Coupled with a copy of Crossover office and MS Office 2k, I've almost convinced my Fiance that linux is the way to go.
(and she's about as diehard windows as they come).
(btw I have no affiliation with Lycoris at all, its just that someone demoed it to us at work and it really does look awesome).
Regards
Aaron
On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 03:48:37AM -0500, Jason Symes wrote:
> I see someone else is taking issue with my corrected goof. Let me state
> this again, at times windows is the most frustrating, difficult thing on
> this planet, what I meant was its simple to sighted people because they
> don't know any better. Its social inertia, they don't want to use something
> new because they don't want to take the time to learn something new.
> At 06:13 PM 9/15/02 +1000, you wrote:
> >
> >*SNIP*
> >This from the guy who says Windows is superior because it's so easy?
> >yeah. that's it, you go girl!
> >easy my ass. If you're sighted just point and click. yeah right.
> >for us, press this plus that plus the other and play twister just to get
> >to a dialog and swear at it cause they moron that coded it used non
> >standard controls.
> >yeah. real easy.
> >
> >--
> >Shaun Oliver
> >

> >In a world without fences
> >          and walls who needs Windows and Gates?
> >
> >EMAIL: shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
> >ICQ: 76958435

> Jason Symes
> kids in the backseat can cause accidents, but accidents in the back seat
> can cause kids
> The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the
> zero adjust on his bathroom scale. (Arthur C. Clarke)
> if you stand for nothing you're liable to fall for anything.
> If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all!
> Just trying to plug away!

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |