Linux rules, Windows sucks!

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 14 21:24:27 EDT 2002

While we're on the topic of how bad Windows is, here's what happened to me
today.  Well, I decided I'm tired of dial-up and I'm going to get a cable
modem.  My only choice here is Roadrunner, but I've heard that Linux and
Roadrunner get along OK once it is set up.  So, I went to Wal Mart and
picked up a NIC.  Surprisingly, it's a Linksys Everywhere 10/100 Fast
Ethernet card.  I sort of wondered if it would work, but I figured that
Linksys is a reputable brand, so bought it.  I took it home and looked at
the floppy that came with it.  It has a Linux directory and it explained
that it uses the Tulip driver and came with a version of it.  I figured
I'd try it out with the Linux kernel.  Once I rebuilt my kernel to include
the Tulip driver, Linux picked up the card right off.  I wouldn't have had
to rebuild, but I tend to strip my kernel down to the bare essentials as
soon as I get a Linux system installed.  anyway, no problems picking up
the card, and all my other devices work fine.  We'll see once I actually
have that cable modem to test it out.

Then, came setting up the card in Windows 95.  Yes, I still use 95 because
of my computer's age.  Anyway, Windows came up asking me to insert the
driver disk for the card.  I did, and it couldn't find the drivers.  I hit
browse and showed it where it was supposed to look and then it wanted the
Windows 95 CD.  Of course, I had to once again hit browse because it
couldn't find what it wants.  Once it finally had the right directory, it
started telling me that every file it was trying to copy was older than
what I already had and did I want to keep the newer version.  I told it
yes in all cases.  Ok, fine, now what?  Well, Nortan Antivirus suddenly
came up telling me that I needed to verify my license.  I have had a legal
copy of Norton Antivirus for just under a year, and had never seen this
before.  Cursing under my breath, I got online and hit continue.  Norton
then told me that I had exceeded the maximum install count for this
computer.  So, the simple act of installing a NIC made Norton think it was
unlicensed?  I'd heard horror stories about this happening to Windows XP
users, but never heard of Norton doing it.  Oh,  did I mention that my
sound card no longer works?  It has an IRQ conflict, and all the possible
IRQS that are listed for it conflict.  So, in short, Linux handled the NIC
without a hitch and Windows threw up!  That's funny when the Plug and Play
standard is supposed to be perfected in windows and lagging hopelessly
behind in Linux.  Sounds to me as if it's the other way around.

Well, I feel much better now that I've ranted about Windows.  Now, let's
all relax and hope that Linux will soon put Microsoft in its place.