question about microsoft and linux

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Wed Sep 11 13:09:11 EDT 2002

Here is where I show my age! The "DR" in "DR-DOS" comes from
"Digital Research" who produced that OS originally. When IBM
introduced their original PC they had to shop around for an OS
for the thing. They considered CP/M briefly, but wanted something
better. Their first choice was the Digital Research DOS but when
the "suits" visited the company, the brass was out golfing or
skydiving or some other diversion. The IBM suits were pissed, and
turned to Microsoft to see if they could help. Microsoft
immediately bought out a virtually unknown OS called "Q DOS"
(Quick and Dirty Operating System) and renamed it to -- you got
it - MSDOS. They licensed a version to IBM called PC DOS, and to
Zenith called Z DOS, and on and on. But DR DOS pre dates the MS
version and in fact has usually introduced innovations earlier
than Microsoft did at every step.

Chuck
And not to worry if DR DOS is no longer supported. Neither is
MSDOS, and between the two, I would choose DR DOS every time.

So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck