peculiar ide device assignments

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Tue Sep 3 19:28:33 EDT 2002

Hi gang,

I have a mystery here. I have a 40 GB hard drive on /dev/hda
which contains all my data and software and it seems to be
working well.

I also have a 10 GB hard drive installed which I have not put to
good use yet, and a CD reader/writer that works well using the
usual scsi emulation.

Here is the mystery: The messages in my dmesg file tell me that
the 10 GB drive is on /dev/hdb and the CD drive is on /dev/hdd.
However - once the system is up and running, my fdisk program
finds the 10 GB drive on /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdb, and my
scsi emulation only works if I assume the CD drive is on /dev/hdb
instead of /dev/hdd.

In other words, my system behaves differently from what the dmesg
file would suggest - the spare HD and the CD drive appear to have
changed places. Anybody have any idea why this should be?

Chuck

So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck