configuring the network after debian install.

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Sep 2 00:51:53 EDT 2002

PCI does not require any configuration. device or resource
busy means there is an interrupt conflict on that  machine or something
is wrong wit h the hardware configuration.
run dmesg and see what error t he tulip driver
is actually giving you; "device or resource busy" is a standard
error returned by the kernel; the driver will have more to say
on the matter.
The problem is not linux; the problem is your hardware configuration and Windows
would probably drop its bundle on the same hardware.
If windows did work; it would cludge around something without telling you about it.
I'd like to know what dmesg said before giving up on it;
the pci card is a better card; not only is it 100 megabit;
it has better multicast filters; lower cpu utilzation; and
less bus utilization.
All other things equal; PCI cards are more efficient than ISA cards;
so I doubt you wasted your money.
Internet connection sharing will probably do the job admirably; however every time Windows crashes
you'll l oose  your net link. fun fun fun.
Try putting the pci card in a different slot;
on PCI slot ordermatters.  You just might have a conflict between
onboard video irq and pci network card.

Regards, Kerry.