configuring the network after debian install.

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Sep 1 01:17:12 EDT 2002

Be aware if you specify an io and irq to the ne driver;
it will assume that there is a card there regardless of whether one is activated
at this address.
Also if an irq is allocated to a isa card and not reserved in bios and
a pci device has it; often Linux will never see the
interrupt for the  network card.
Unless the machine has no spare PCI slots or none at all;
there is no reason to avoid pci cards; they just
work and require no mucking with isapnp.
that said; most ne2000 clones can be hard set to addresses and irqs
which aleviates the need to do it with isapnp.
There are utilities to do this under Linux for the common chips; use
the dos utils f or any others.

Regards, Kerry.