Help with alsa.

John Covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Oct 27 04:14:49 EST 2002

First, rtfm applies -- the INSTALL file will tell you how to set up
alsa pretty well and if you can go on the speakup relfector many
people have sb lives so they can tell you of the weird syntax of
amixer.

You need to reconfigure your kernel so you just have sound support
without any specific board, clean out any sound modules you have
aside from alsa, and recompile.  If you are using Debian, put the
module statements in an appropriate place in /etc/modutils and do
update-modules and you should be good to go.  Be aware that
everything starts out muted in a new install.