Items fly by

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Mon Oct 21 14:38:03 EDT 2002

erik burggraaf staggered into view and mumbled:

>Hi list.  I'm using the locate command to find some diagnostic software and
>potencial mount points for basic hardware like a floppy drive or a modem.  I
>can find what I want no problem, but I also get a lot of things I don't
>want.  Sometimes screens after screens.  The screens scroll automaticly, and
>I wonder if there's a way to change this.  Failing that, is there a way to
>get at the items at the top of the list without doing a locate and listening
>to the whole thing over.  I've done this 4 or 5 times, and it's starting to
>be counter productive.  I think if I could just stop the scroll where I
>wanted and review the lines I'm interested in, I'd be a little more
>effective.
>Thanks for any advice.
>Erik

Try:
locate <your_stuff> | more
where <your_stuff> is the string you want to use--do not include the
< and > signs.

If you just want to see the top 20 lines, you could pipe it through
`head' instead as follow:
locate <your_stuff> | head -20

or you could redirect the output into a file for later viewing or
editing as follows:
locate <your_stuff> > filename.txt

Have fun!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
CIRCLE CIRCUMFERENCE = 2 * _pi * r