Items fly by

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Oct 20 18:45:51 EDT 2002

Another couple ideas come to mind.  When piping stuff to less, very
often, you need to include the output from STDERR into the pipe also.
Simply |less will only capture output from STDOUT so I often will do
<command> 2>&1 |less
thus standard output and standard error (1 and 2 respectively) both
get piped into less, my pager of choice.  Once in less, you can scroll
up and down through the text and do searches and whatever else you
want.

Another neat trick is to use the script facility.  Type script and hit
enter; that will spawn a sub shell and leave you at a shell prompt but
from here on until you close this shell, all output will be recorded
in a file called by default 'typescript'.  When done, type exit to
close this sub shell and the typescript file will then be closed and
available for viewing.  Do a 'man script' for more details.