Slackware + Speakup?

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 8 18:51:38 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> I am a Slacker from way back -- I think my first distro was maybe
> 2.5, although I have only had speakup patched into the kernel
> since about 4.0.

Hmmm, dunno what version of Slack it was, but my first kernel spawned from
a Slackware installation was 1.2.13.

> I have considered switching from time to time due to the fact
> that both Debian and Redhat have more sophisticated package
> managers and upgrade mechanisms, but at this point I am so
> familiar with Slackware and how it configures and operates that I
> am reluctant to make the change. I am presently using Slackware
> 8.1 with kernel 2.4.18 and the Reiser FS instead of ext2 or ext3
> and this system really sizzles. If you are looking for easy go
> Redhat. If you like hacking and tweaking, Slackware might be for
> you.

I too have considered the change, Debian would be favourite to take over,
but I'm still largely happy with Slackware so am staying put for now.
Just one question Chuck, out of interest why did you choose reisafs over
ext3?

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808