8.0 problems.

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Sun Oct 6 18:03:37 EDT 2002

Hi, there seams to be some grumbles about what Red Hat has done in the 8.0
release. i can say that each change was necessary, and each does have some
rational decisions behind them.

As for mp3 support you all know about the legal restrictions, and Red hat as
well as Mandrake are going to leave that hot potato alone. If you really
want to play mp3's install real player 8, and trplayer and go to town.
The clock speed again was necessary for faster systems, because 100 really
slowed newer computers down. This is basically a pesky problem which can be
fixed simply by dropping a couple of lines in the rc.local file.
As for removing lilo believe me they have special reasons for moving to
grub.
First reason is that Red Hat has had several complaints during upgrades from
7.3 to 8.0 lilo did not update properly, and this has happened before. The
users who chose grub did not have this problem.
In other cases some hard drives you must choose force lba32 to get lilo to
work properly where grub again does not require that.
Also when installing new kernels you all know you need to type lilo to get
the new settings. Grub doesn't require you to do anything special.Just edit
the grub.conf file, and it is set.
I believe several months back Janina and I had a discussion over weather
grub or lilo is more accessible. I found out that grub can be made to make a
bell sound as soon as the menu appears so it is equally as accessible as
lilo.
So really loosing lilo isn't all that bad as it may at first seam.