Network card problems

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 5 23:15:44 EDT 2002

Alex, you may want to look at the Ethernet howto.  I mention this because
it talks about how Linux can sometimes guess the wrong IRQ with older ISA
cards like yours.  This card, if it is indeed from 1992 as you state
predates ISA Plug 'N Play, so that won't help.  Does it have jumpers?  If
you can, see what IRQ and base address are given the card on a known
working machine.  Then, look at /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports on your
Linux machine with the card installed and see if they match.  although I
thought the card was working before, I am beginning to wonder if it's some
kind of resource conflict.  As examples, here are my /proc/interrupts and
/proc/ioports.  Note that my /proc/interrupts looks a bit strange because
I'm utilizing the APIC on my machine which gives me interrupts above 15.
Wish Windows knew about this.
--Begin /proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0:    3205307    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:      22383    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:     624437    IO-APIC-edge  serial
  5:        955    IO-APIC-edge  soundblaster
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 14:      50603    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:          7    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 17:      12691   IO-APIC-level  serial
 18:          7   IO-APIC-level  aic7xxx
 19:     222466   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0
LOC:    3205525
ERR:          0
MIS:          0
--End /proc/interrupts

--Begin /proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0213-0213 : isapnp read
0220-022f : soundblaster
0278-027a : parport0
027b-027f : parport0
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0330-0333 : MPU-401 UART
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : bns
0620-0623 : sound driver (AWE32)
0a20-0a23 : sound driver (AWE32)
0a79-0a79 : isapnp write
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
0e20-0e23 : sound driver (AWE32)
f400-f4ff : Adaptec AHA-7850
f800-f8ff : Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100
  f800-f8ff : tulip
fce8-fcef : TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp TP560 Data/Fax/Voice 56k modem
  fce8-fcef : serial(set)
fcf0-fcff : Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
  fcf0-fcf7 : ide0
  fcf8-fcff : ide1

--End /proc/ioports