Network card problems

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sat Oct 5 20:04:02 EDT 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Alex Snow wrote:

> I just got rid of dhcp, and have assigned all computers on the network,
> including the linux box, ip addresses.  I reran netconfig and gave it the
> new ip address, netmask, and gateway.  Now when I type ifconfig I see the
> the net address is 192.168.1.101, that's what I assigned it.  Only problem
> is I still have no network support.  I can't ping the box, and I can't
> connect to my router using lynx.  Could there be some configuration on the
> card that is messed up? Someone suggested that I run isapnp, but the card
> seems to be detected fine.

If you are using an isa network card, as I think was mentioned earlier
this week, you may first need to configure the card's eprom.  Usually, the
card will come with a utility for DOS and Windows to do this.  If this is
the case, the problem is that the network card does not know what irq and
base address it is using, and thus Linux has no way to find it.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808