Apolo synthasizer problem

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 1 14:02:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Buddy Brannan wrote:

> I couldn't swear to this...I have used a Juno with Speakup--same thing
> as the Apollo really--and got the same results. Anyway, I think it has
> to do with the way that the Apollo receives stuff to speak...I think
> (if I remember the docs rightly) that it has like an 8K buffer, which
> probably includes all he control commands. I expect that what's
> happening is that when the buffer fills up, it empties and speaks the
> next bit...regardless of whether it's split in the middle of a word or
> not. This is a slight annoyance, but I don't know that there's a way
> around it. (Maybe there is, but I don't know what it is in the
> constraints of a kernel-space speech driver.) Anyway, I'm sure Kirk
> will tell me if I've got the whole reason wrong :)

Hmmm, I don't think this can be the whole story, as I used to use a Juno
under DOS with Hal, and didn't have this problem, at least not as often.
If the buffer got too full, about 2 or 3 pages, it just emptied it and
carried on scrolling, so you'd miss huge chunks.  My guess it's more
likely to have something to do with how stuff is sent to the serial port,
though I can't be certain of course.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808