Distro Question

dashielljt dashielljt at gmpexpress.net
Mon Nov 25 07:49:26 EST 2002

Well if Slackware is chosen the only boot and root disks for it are
slackware 8.0 with kernel version 2.2.19smp.  There's a kernel version
2.4.55 available in slackware 8.1 and I think another version of the
kernel for slackware.current which will become slackware 9.0.  In the
slackware installation instructions provided for speakup, if there is a
way to make other kernel choices for installation and have them come up
talking short of rebuilding a kernel they're undocumented.  Because 2.2.19
was chosen as the kernel version on which to build and I had used it, I
can't use my parallel tape backup unit with linux.  That should work with
kernel 2.4.x and above though.  What slackware provides for ftape are only
the stable driver which is ftape 3.x.  The thing is, that only works for
internal tape drives and you have to compile ftape 4.x unstable driver to
even get those parallel tape drives to work.  That's why the work on the
sysback script.  Btw, it's promising but so far not finished.  Testing
shows what I wrote as it'swritten now does work and it uses zip disks for
backup.

Jude <dashielljt(at)gmpexpress-dot-net>