my notes on l i n k s

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Mon Nov 18 14:02:50 EST 2002

Gnopernicus is just around the corner, but it is definitely not
here yet. I have a copy which runs and gives me speech access to
a number of window manager menus using Festival speech, but the
installation is very difficult and iffy and a number of very
talented people are tearing their hair out over it. I cannot
explain my own success, and frankly, it is not all that useful.

However - speakup users will be interested in this - the speakup
keymap does not interfere with the use of the keypad in
Gnopernicus. What happens is that both speakup and Gnopernicus
capture each keypad keystroke, and the result is pretty weird to
say the least, until you simply press the printscreen key to kill
speakup. Then all  you hear is Gnopernicus. In other words, there
is no need for a special keymap or to remove the speakup keymap.
Just kill speakup once you enter Gnopernicus and it works.

The development team is working hard at this thing, but there are
still some problems to be resolved. There were some memory leaks
at last report, and I see some so-called "multiple segfaults"
upon exiting the thing, so there is definitely work to be done
yet.

Chuck

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Kenny Hitt wrote:

> Hi.  That's what I'm hoping for.
> But I've seen reports on the speakup list that make me think
> gnopernicus is still a long way off.
>
>           Kenny
>

>           Kenny
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:23:00PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Kenny Hitt writes:
> > > From: Kenny Hitt <kennyhitt at knology.
> > > I currently have lynx, w3m, and
> > > links installed. ... Maybe someone can figure out a way to combine them
> > > all into one mega browser.
> >
> > Well, hold on to your hat. Once we have gnopernicus, we'll be adding
> > Mozilla to the list.

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (98% of Full)
So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh