Got ALSA Going!!!

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 19:03:56 EST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:

<snip>

> My first question has to do with modules.conf.  I got a bit
confused
> as to just what I need to add to modules.conf to satisfy ALSA's
> drivers.  I just did 'modeprobe snd-emu-10k1' for starters and later
> did a modeprobe of snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss in that order and I
> can do quite a few things now.

Ok, find the relevant piece of my /etc/modules.conf below, I'm not sure if
it's all needed, but it works for me:

#Sound config begins.
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 snd_index=0 snd_id="sblive!"
 # OSS/Free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
#Sound config ends.

> My other questions have to do with identifying and manipulating the
> various controls on the sound card and getting results.  First off, I
> used the amixer command to change Bass and Treble but I don't hear any
> effect from the change.  On my SB live card, I notice five jacks - I
> figured out one for line input and one for output but can't seem to
> figure out the other output.  My old SB AWE32 card had separate
> speaker and line out jacks doesn't the SB live do that any more? I
> have only been able to get output from one jack; I can hook up
> speakers or my sterio to it with favorable results on both.  I just
> miss having the speakers and my stereo hooked up at the same time.

Ok, well my sblive has 2 outputs, they are front and rear.  This may be
your problem, you need to give the rear output some volume or you won't
hear anything.  Personally, I find alsamixer a bit easier to tweak with
than amixer, but that's down to personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808