announcement: Woody floppies released!

igueths at attbi.com igueths at attbi.com
Wed Nov 13 11:58:21 EST 2002

Hi all. The first thing I did was to format two floppy disks, and create a
dos_fs on one of the disks. This disk would be the rescue disk. I then compiled
a kernel with Cvs speakup, BLK_DEV_LOOP, BLK_DEV_RAM, and asorted filesystems.
I then coppied the kernel to the dos-formatted floppy, as well as system.map,
and syslinux.cfg. Before copying system.map though, I gzip -c -9 System.map >
sys_map.gz. This was to save space on the disk. After copppying all the files,
I did syslinux /dev/fd0. This created ldlinux.sys. Now to the root floppy. For
that disk, it didn't require any modifications (this may change due to module
problems). I took the bf24.bin from the official Woody distribution,
decompressed it, and re-compressed with gzip -c -9 for maximum compression. I
then dd if=bf24.bin of=/dev/fd0 to a blank floppy. After all this was done, I
tested the setup. Everything seemed to work ok. I went through some of the
installation steps, however the only part I dind't test was module
installation. After all testing was completed, dd if=/dev/fd0 of=root.bin.