in place file splitter

Tyler Spivey tyler at blindcity.com
Tue Nov 12 17:22:03 EST 2002

well, i guess you'd have to have enough memory to hold the whole file.
that doesn't matter though, since the worst that can happen is that the
kernel will kill any old process when the ram and swap fill up.
i've had no swap, and my ram got filled and it killed anything - it picks a
number at random and kills it.
not very useful, just extreamly annoying - it should kill the process that
is eating up all the ram.
but now that we can add huge ammounts of swap space, this isn't a big issue
anymore.
just dd to a file with input from /dev/zero, run swapon, and if the file
gets filled reboot so the swapspace
isn't used, and trash it.