update on inode problem

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Nov 8 03:32:29 EST 2002

Igor Gueths staggered into view and mumbled:

>Hi all. Well after digging into this problem a bit further, I figured out
>that the 1:0 reported in the errors about ext2_read_inode were refering to
>/dev/ram0 according to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt. That
>would explain why changing the root.bin image never fixed the problem.
>Does anyone know why /dev/ram0 would report this type of error after the
>kernel mounted the EXT2_fs using the initrd? One thing I am going to try
>is to change the ramdisk_size to 16385 KB. It is currently set to 4096,
>and vanilla flavor is what isolinux is defaulting to at the moment. Does
>anyone have any other suggestions besides changing the disksize? Thanks!

Hmmm.  I wonder if this is an indication of a bit of bad RAM.  I have
heard that Linux is not very tolerant of bad memory, but RAM problems
are rare enough that I have never heard exactly how they manifest
themselves.  If all else fails (and I do mean _all_ else), you might
try swapping memory module locations on your mother board to see if
this affects the situation at all.  RAM failures are very rare, but
they can happen.  The simple RAM test performed during system boot
can miss some memory errors, but this is pretty rare as well.  I hope
you can get your system working soon.

Have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
y = x ^ LOG_B (x, y)