making trn do authenticated news?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Fri Nov 1 17:10:49 EST 2002

Hi guys,
Does anyone know what it is you're supposed to do to get trn to do authenticated news reading?
I'm running trn 4.0b76, and while strings of the binary shows authinfo commands being compiled in,
I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to tell it you want it to try to log on.
I'm trying to connect to a protected news reader and just get a 5xx go away error because I'm not supplying my credentials.
No, the correct answer is not use slrn, I have specific reasons for wanting trn.
Any help much appreciated lest I have to go read the source *shudder*.
Regards
Aaron

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |