Amazingly dumb remark about Linux

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed May 29 19:50:35 EDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Adam Myrow wrote:

> I overheard part of a conversation at work that made me realize just how
> much Microsoft has taken over in computer software.  One guy asked his
> friend "do you think Linux will ever replace Windows?"  His friend replied
> "no way!  It doesn't have Excel, Word, or Powerpoint!"  It was all I could
> do to not scream "you idiot!  Excel isn't the only spreadsheet.  Word
> isn't the only word processor."  Has Microsoft become so dominant that
> people think that "Excel" ans spreadsheet mean the same thing?  I sort of
> wonder if that guy even knows what a spreadsheet is?

Your probably right, unfortunately, imho that's about the only Lotus Notes
has these days, to show that alternatives exist. *grin*

On a different but connected note, did you know that Apple, if they'd
thought about it, could have patented the spreadsheet?  In addition,
British Telecom claim that they own patent rights on the hyperlink, and
are, I'm sure I heard somewhere, currently testing it in the courts, the
claim goes back 20 or so years I believe.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808