Amazingly dumb remark about Linux

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Wed May 29 18:54:31 EDT 2002

I overheard part of a conversation at work that made me realize just how
much Microsoft has taken over in computer software.  One guy asked his
friend "do you think Linux will ever replace Windows?"  His friend replied
"no way!  It doesn't have Excel, Word, or Powerpoint!"  It was all I could
do to not scream "you idiot!  Excel isn't the only spreadsheet.  Word
isn't the only word processor."  Has Microsoft become so dominant that
people think that "Excel" ans spreadsheet mean the same thing?  I sort of
wonder if that guy even knows what a spreadsheet is?