Hardware failure? was Re: My ide1 is back!!!

Terry Cudney tcudney at sympatico.ca
Wed May 29 08:12:59 EDT 2002

Hi all,

	I've been following this thread, hoping it might yield a clue to what's happening with my setup. So far, Cheryl's problem seems to be different from mine:

	I have an IDE CDRW (Panasonic) that was working fine with SCSI emulation setup. Several things changed around the same time, so I'm not sure which, if any of them are responsible for the present failure.

	The symptom is, that the cdrw light blinks continuously and the drive is dead, ie even pressing the "eject" button on the front of the drive will not open the drawer.
	I have tried putting the cdrw on a cable, as master, by itself. To no avail. It doesn't even show up in dmesg.

	I suspect this is a hardware failure. Can anyone suggest a way to verify that it is hardware?

	Thanks,

	    --terry

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(905)735-6127
E-mail:	terry at CottageInWasaga.com -or- tcudney at sympatico.ca
WWW:	www.CottageInWasaga.com

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.