Decisions, what to install, how to make it user friendly

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue May 28 21:45:34 EDT 2002

Speakup is by far the easiest to learn.

But, recognize that it isn't an either/or situation. You can have
both.

Before we go further, however, what DEC Talk? It does matter
which one you're asking about. Speakup will not run with software
speech. And, while emacspeak will, there may be a
price--depending on the sound card involved. In other words, a
less than ideal sound card would give you one output at a time,
so no ogg playback while software speech is running, for example.

Lynx is definitely the browser of choice with Speakup. But, the
magic is in the configuration. I'm sending mine for your
consideration separately. Ditto on the Pine configuration.

Be sure to set up the mailcap and mime.types to play sound via
Lynx. Get trplayer for RealAudio support from the command line
from the Speakup ftp site (in the goodies directory). Also, be
sure to install freeamp.

The address book and mail question is a bit trickier. You want to
use a mail client steadily, and not switch among several--until
you learn how to transform among the various mailbox formats.

The Pine addressbook doesn't do street addresses, phone numbers,
etc. It's strictly email.

Mutt is a great choice. There's an abook (address book) that does
do street and phone, I believe. I believe I got it via
freshmeat.net, but don't recall whether it was sourceforge or
not.
The Insideous Little Brother db works with mutt, I believe.

Emacs has outstanding calendaring support via emacspeak. It's a
joy to use, and the appointment alarms are pretty good, too. VM
would be the mailer in this case, and you'duse the Big Brother db
for the address book. W3 (or W3M would be the browser).

You can easily go back and forth between emacspeak and speakup,
but I wouldn't shift the mail, as I mentioned earlier. Browsing
via multiple clients, of course, isn't a problem.

There is software speech for emacspeak, and another screen reader
called yasr that you can get pretty easily. Look at
http://eflite.sf.net.

IBM's ViaVoice has been pulled by IBM. It's higher quality
speech, but a bit more problematic.

Many Speakup users use ALSA rather than OSS for sound recording
and playback. Many also use SpeakFreely for on line voice chats.
If you go ALSA, however, you'll not have good software speech for
emacspeak.

Lastly, I'd stick with Red Hat. There are a lots of blind Red Hat
users, and not nearly as many Suse users. So, the support will be
better with Red Hat.