Decisions, what to install, how to make it user friendly

C U B I S S S cubisss at excite.com
Tue May 28 19:10:49 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am trying to hook up Linux on a blind friend's Dell. I'm hoping to get a
little feedback, as I want to make sure what I set her up with has as low a
learning curve as possible but still offers certain perks.

I've installed Red Hat 7.3, but have discovered SuSe as a particularly
formidable adversary. Does SuSe have a built in Software Voice Synthesizer?
Is it easier to set up with a DecTalk than Red Hat?

She is totally blind. She has a Dec Talk plugged into her older machine
running Dos, WordPerfect.

I want her new machine to browse the web, check email, have an address book,
and a word processor. Voice Recording and playback would be great as well.

I've installed emacspeak, but am guessing the learning curve is a bit too
steep (for me too). Is the "cursoring" problem with speakup a barrier,
especially to someone totally foreign to Linux, or is speakup an easier
product?

Does anyone know of a FREE software speech synthesizer for either (emacspeak
or Speakup), as I've said we're pulling the DecTalk out of a machine she is
currently using, so I'd like to trouble shoot and ascertain with a software
version until I'm comfortable unplugging her current work station.

Address book. Is there a command line address book? One that works
particularly well with SpeakUp? I'd like something that interfaces with her
email as well as has the ability to print addresses on envelopes. Is that
too much to expect? I hope not. Is there a command line email client whose
address book is comprehensive enough?

Is vi (vim) the editor of choice? Again, highest rating would be a good
integration with address book, email client.

I presume Lynx is the browser of choice.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to set this up right and figure
you guys are the ones to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel